Course: AS and A2 Level
Exam Board: AQA
Entry Requirements: A*-B in Additional and Core Science GCSE or in Triple Science GCSE
A*-B in Maths GCSE
A*-C in English Language GCSE
GCSE average point score 42+
There will be a new reformed A-Level starting in September 2015. The course is now terminally assessed and consists of 3 exams to be sat at the end of year 13 covering ALL subjects from the 2 year course.
The main aims of this course are to:
- Teach biology with a new and innovative approach to deliver the biological content, putting greater emphasis on the practical and application side of biology.
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of biological concepts together with an appreciation of their significance, and the skills needed for their use in new and changing situations.
- Provide opportunities for an appreciation of the social, moral and ethical complexities of many current biological issues as well as enabling students to evaluate and use arguments about the place of biology in society.
- Sustain and develop an interest in the study of living organisms and a respect for them.
- Be a suitable preparation for biological studies in higher and other educational establishments.
The two-year course is divided into eight topics:
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchanges substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
Assessment for the A level qualification takes place at the end of year 13 and comprises the following:
- Paper 1 – any content from topics 1- 4 (35%)
- Paper 2 – any content from topics 5 – 8 (35%)
- Paper 3 – any content from topics 1 – 8, including an extended essay question (30%)
- Practical Competency. Skills assessed through practical Investigations in class – No Exam, 0% of total A-Level but required in order to be eligible for Pass Grade.
Contact Name: Dr E Smith